Historic Architecture of Downtown New Albany

Adelaide Packard Piano Forte School (1899)

819 East Main Street


Miss Packard was a music teacher at the DePauw College for Young Ladies, directly across the street from this structure. Adelaide purchased the lot in 1898 and had this frame, Neoclassical style building constructed, originally with a center tower, in 1899. The structure contained the music school and concert hall. Professor Henry H. Dreyer purchased the property in 1912 and moved his acclaimed concert band to New Albany from Clark County. Henry died in 1927 and his son took over the direction of the band. The school and band continued through the early 1940s. The tower was removed after a 1965 fire that damaged the roof of the structure.

Bader Block

207 - 209 East Main Street

Jacob Bader, Prominent New Albany businessman, had this three-story brick business house built. The structure, along with its third floor Society Hall, was financed by the 1st National Bank, located next door. Mr. Wm. S. Culbertson was the bank's president at the time. Mr. Bader died less than a year after the building was completed, but it continued to remain in the Bader family for at least 50 years. Millinery shops, cigar manufacturing, restaurants and groceries all occupied the building over time.

By the early 1940s, the ever popular Candyland confectionery shop, run by John H. McCauley, was occupying the building and in 1949, Richard and Oneida Kahler began operating the Maytag Laundry. Local business entrepreneurs, Steve Goodman and Carl Holliday purchased the business and property in 1999 and continued the long tradition of offering first-rate laundry and dry cleaning service to New Albanians through 2006.

Baer's Bazaar Building

319 - 321 Pearl Street

This building was built by New Albany contractors S. Day & Sons for John Baer's dry goods and department store which was established in 1871. The pressed metal cornice is possibly a Geo. L Mesker & Co. product from Evansville, IN. W.  T. Grant & Co. occupied this space after Baer's went out of business in 1931. Grant's remodeled and enlarged their store in 1941 and remained there until its new building was erected at the southeast corner of Spring and Pearl Streets in 1957.

Bank Street Row House

409 Bank Street

This brick home, with a fireplace in every room, is an excellent example of the row house style that was prevalent in the city during the 1800s. Note the two entrances, exhibiting the fact that this house was a duplex, housing two separate families. In the 1940s, a residence occupied the north side of the building while a business used the south side. Restoration of the building began in 1974 by Robert A. Kelso, Attorney, when it was converted to his law office.

Benjamin E. Rowe House (1912)

519 East Main Street

American Foursquare

The Hassenmillers, residents of 517, owned this vacant lot until they had prominent New Albany builders, Stephen Day & Son, design and build this home. They sold the new house for $5,500 to Benjamin E. Rowe, president of the Rowe-Fawcett Co., wholesale grocers, located at 128-130 West Main Street in the downtown. 

Ben Briggs Building

119 East Market Street

This Italianate building, constructed in 1891, replaced one of the oldest structures built in the very early years of New Albany. Ben Briggs hired contractor Charles Goodbub to build his new business house for $3,000. The brick work was completed by Messers. Detrick and Mitchell and the stone work by Mr. Edward Crumbo, all of New Albany.  The building had several different occupants up until 1931, at which time it became home to the F. W. Woolworth Co. 5 & 10 Cent Store that remained a New Albany fixture through December of 1973.

Biel Cottage (ca 1887)

415 East Main Street


This brick shotgun house was built sometime after 1886 by the Biel family of New Albany. It is very unusual to have this type of cottage constructed of brick. The structure was used as rental property until Edward and Mary Biel purchased the home in April 1905 from William Biel. Edward was a painter and died in 1928. Mrs. Biel remained in the house until selling it in December 1943, ending over 55 of ownership of the home by the Biel family.

Louis Bir House (ca 1890)

1218 East Main Street

Queen Anne

This charming Queen Anne style, frame home was built around 1890 for the Louis Bir family. Mr. Bir, a prominent New Albany businessman, was proprietor of the Louis Bir Lumber & Manufacturing Co., founded in 1882. The lumber yard was located on the northeast corner of East 13th & Main Streets, before the brick bungalows at 1301 and 1305 East Main and 210 East 13th were built for other Bir family members. The Queen Anne style structure at 1401 East Main Street is also a Bir home. The lumber business was later located at East 13th and Dewey Streets where it remained until 1970. The company, with their unforgettable slogan, Lum-Bir, supplied Southern Indiana residents with building materials for almost 90 years. The house remained in the Bir family until 1937 when it was purchased by the Bonnie Sloan Post of the American Legion.

Blessing-Malbon House (1848)

907 East Main Street

Federal/Greek Revival

Nicholas Blessing had this frame, Federal/Greek Revival style house constructed in 1848. In addition to the house, Mr. Blessing had his cooper shop located on the adjacent corner lot at 9th & Main Streets. Steamboat captain, Solomon Malbon, and his wife Elizabeth, purchased the home in 1853. After Capt. Malbon’s riverboat days, he became active in local politics and eventually became Mayor of New Albany. By the mid 1930s, the Clark family was occupying the sturctue. Miss Mayme Clark became the first women appointed to the New Albany Board of Education and her sister, Miss Nettie, was the head librarian of the New Albany Public Library from 1905-1944. During World War I, at the request of the Library War Service, the New Albany School Board allowed Miss Nettie to serve at the Library of Congress in Washington D. C. She was given the responsibility for book service for the sailors on all vessels and at small training stations.

Capt. Charles Van Dusen House (1853)

913 East Main Street


This riverboat captain, who owned an 1848 New Albany-built steamboat named Uncle Sam, wanted to be on high ground, so he had his home built on a “hill” hauled in by carts, in 1853. After the death of Capt. Van Dusen, John R. and Avesta Shields Nunemacher purchased the house and it remained in the Nunemacher-Carlton family through 1927. The Nunemacher’s daughter, Emma Shields Nunemacher Carlton, came to live in the house after the death of her husband. Mrs. Carlton was a late 19th & early 20th century writer of articles and verses for numerous leading newspapers and magazines around the country.

Cobb-Danforth House (1857)

514 East Main Street

Greek Revival

This brick townhouse was built in 1857. Noah Cobb, wholesale grocer in downtown New Albany, was the first resident of the home. Thomas and Adeline Danforth purchased the property in 1864. Mr. Danforth was secretary of the New Albany Insurance Co. located on Main Street in the downtown. In 1882, Dr. Elijah Newland purchased the home and presented it to St. Paul’s Episcopal Church for use as its parsonage. At the time, St. Paul’s was located on the north side of East Main in the 600 block.

Conner-Hegewald House (1906)

716 East Main Street

Queen Anne

This frame, late Queen Anne style home was built on property once owned by Washington C. DePauw. William C. Conner purchased the new house in July 1906. Mr. Conner was proprietor of William C. Conner Wallpaper Co., located on East Market Street in the downtown. In May 1918, the property was sold to Edwin C. Hegewald, secretary and treasurer of Charles Hegewald Co., located on Water Street between State & West 1st in downtown New Albany. The company made stationary and steamboat boilers and machinery, glass works machinery, all sorts of brass and iron castings, smokestacks, sheet iron and steel work, and mill supplies. By 1939, Edward and Aldora Cummings had purchased the home. Mr. Cummings was associated with the E. M. Cummings & Son Veneer Co., still located at East 4th and Oak Streets in downtown New Albany. In July 1942, and for the next thirty-two years, the house was home to the Edward A. Flocken family.

Conner-Mann House (ca 1845)

710 East Main Street


Built around 1845 for William C. Conner, partner in the dry goods concern of Conner & Reineking, this brick residence did not take on the Italianate detailing until 1867, when second owner, Peter Mann, had the windows enlarged, window hoods installed and the iron veranda added. Mr. Mann was proprietor of the City Floor Mills. In 1903, the house became home to the Jacob Sapinsky family. Mr. Sapinsky, along with his son, Julius, were clothiers and had their business establishment at the corner of State and Main Streets.

Conner-Clokey House (ca 1850)

412 East Main Street

Federal/Greek Revival

This townhouse was constructed about 1850 for James Wesley Conner, a pilot on the New Albany steamboat, the Robt. E. Lee, when it won the Great Steamboat Race of 1870. Joseph Clokey, Jr. was born here on August 28, 1890. He became a nationally known composer of religious music.

Culbertson Widows’ Home (1873)

704 East Main Street


This large brick structure was built by architects/builders, William and James Banes, in 1873 for Mr. Wm. S. Culbertson for the widowed indigent of the City. The cost of construction was $25,000. He also left an endowment of $150,000 for its operation. The Widows’ Home operated until 1971 and the property was sold two years later to a family for use as their private residence. The Culbertson endowment is still working in the New Albany community today, helping the disadvantaged of the City. Mr. Culbertson also built an orphans’ home on Ekin Avenue because of his philanthropic nature.

Day-Kenney House (ca1910)

800 East Main Street

Queen Anne

Probably another S. Day & Son structure, this home was built around 1910, again on property once owned by Washington C. DePauw. The late Queen Anne structure was built for Anthony T. Day, president of the Day Leather Co. The Day’s daughter, Nellie Kenney came to live in the house and remained until her death in March 1974. Mrs. Kenney’s daughter, Juel Day Kenney-Allen also lived here until her death in 1986. Note the flared overhang on the house, this is a Day hallmark found on numerous homes in New Albany.

Washington C. DePauw House (1870)

714 East Main Street

Second Empire

One of New Albany’s leading citizens, Mr. Washington C. DePauw, had his winter home built here in 1870 in the Second Empire style. It is of frame construction with “an imitation stone front … and bronze hardware features…” (NA Ledger – 1870). One of his companies, the American Plate Glass Works, the largest is America at the time, provided the three sheets of glass in the bay window. Mr. DePauw was also involved in other business partnerships along with banking, and a landholder of many New Albany properties. Original cast iron fencing, urns and porches continue to grace the property. DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana was named for him because of his generous contributions to that institution.

Walter A. Gadient House (1914)

1212 East Main Street


Walter A. Gadient purchased this lot from the Washington C. DePauw administrators in 1914 for $1750. The house was constructed immediately and probably built by S. Day and Sons. Mr. Gadient was secretary of the New Albany Trust Company and later vice-president and trust officer of the Union National Bank of New Albany. He and his wife, Elsa M., continued residency here until their new home was completed in DePauw Place in 1925. Notice the original windows including the storms; the faux finish applied to the rusticated, concrete block foundation; and the original, half-round gutting system.

George H. Devol House (1889)

601 East Main Street

Queen Anne

This frame house was built in 1889 for George H. and Eliza L. Devol. Mr. Devol was proprietor of George H. Devol, dealer in stoves, tin, copper and ironware, plumbing and gas fitting;located on East Main Street in downtown New Albany. For numerous years, the Devol’s daughter, Harriett, conducted music lessons from the residence. The Devols were owners of the property for almost 40 years.

James & Angelina Collins House (1852)

917 East Main Street

Federal/Greek Revival

Built in 1852, this brick Federal/Greek Revival style house was home to James and Angelina Maria Lorraine Collins. Mrs. Collins wrote the first cookbook published in the State of Indiana: Table Receipts Adapted to Western Housewifery. The book was printed by John R. Nunemacher’s City Bookstore. By 1865, Bela C. and Delphine Kent purchased the home. Mr. Kent was partners in the wholesale grocers and produce dealers concern of Kent & Childs, located in downtown New Albany. In addition to his business venture, Mr. Kent was once Mayor of New Albany.

William S. Culbertson Mansion (1867-69)

914 East Main Street

Second Empire

The Culbertson Mansion was completed in 1869 for William S. Culbertson by architects/builders, William and James Banes. William Banes’ house can be seen at 808 East Market Street. Spending $120,000, Culbertson spared no expense in building the French Second Empire style house to his liking. The mansion contains a full basement and rises three stories with twenty-five rooms within 20,000 square feet. Having come to New Albany from Pennsylvania in 1835 at the age of 21, Culbertson began a very successful wholesale dry goods company. He also proved his interest in local civic affairs by financing a Widows’ Home and an Orphans’ home. At the time of his death in 1892, Culbertson was one of Indiana’s wealthiest men, with a net worth of three and one half million dollars. On-going interior restoration projects have returned many of the elaborate hand-painted ceiling designs and gold-leaf finishes found throughout the house to their original beauty. Visitors may tour each floor, featuring period furnishings, massive woodwork, crystal chandeliers, and grand fireplaces. The west wing and basement housed the live-in servant staff, original kitchen and laundry room. The mansion is open to the public mid-April to mid-December, Tuesday through Saturday 9 am to 5 pm and Sundays 1 to 5 pm. A small admission fee is charged. Call 812.944.9600 for more information. The Culbertson Mansion is owned and operated by the Indiana Dept. of Natural Resources, Division of Museums and Historic Sites.

Losson E. Bettinger House (ca 1855)

221 East 9th Street

Greek Revival

Separated from 820 East Market in 1901, the Moosmillers used this house as rental property until August 1928. In February 1944, Losson and Marion Bettinger purchased the home and remained for the next 36 years. Mr. Bettinger was owner of the old Nick Bettinger Coal Co. and in his later years was employed in the men’s department of The White House Department Store on Pearl Street in the downtown . The Bettingers sold their home in June 1980.

Briggs - Cody House

330 East Third Street

New Albany entrepreneur, John Briggs purchased this beautifully maintained Greek Revival townhouse in 1857. In 1941, New Albany historians Mr. and Mrs. John A. Cody, Jr. began a residency here that lasted over 60 years. Mrs. Cody, or Bebe as she was affectionately known , continued to live in her historic home through 2004, even after the death of her husband John in 1998.

Charles Eurton Cafe

310 Pearl Street

For several years, Mr. Eurton had his popular cafe here. In later years, stores such as Helman's Department Store and King Jewelers were housed in this brick building.

Clapp Block

110 East Main Street

Built in 1868 in the Italianate style, this business block contained a Masonic hall for the Dudley Temple of Honor on the 3rd floor.

Conner Block Building

141 - 143 East Main Street

This recently restored building by Mike and Liz Wilson was originally a four story structure and housed numerous businesses over the course of time. He earliest tenant was John R. Nunemacher. He had his City Bookstore and publishing company here. Into the 20th Century, the following companies occupied the building: Rhodes-Burford Co., furniture and carpet; The Tribune Co., New Albany Tribune, New Albany Ledger ad Tribune; Karl L. Fenger & Son Hardware Store. Later Reisz Furniture Company's Pilgrim Shop was selling Early American type of furniture and reproductions of antique Colonial pieces out of the storefront.  

DePauw Apartments (1925)

818 East Main Street


Designed by New Albany architect, Paul E. Moosmiller, this structure was built as four cooperative apartments in 1925.This Neoclassical style condominium is also on the site of the former DePauw College for Young Ladies, which was razed in 1919. The College had been financed for a while by Washington C. DePauw, who later donated a large sum of money to Asbury College in Greencastle, Indiana which now bears his name. The first owners of the apartments were the; Jewett, Knoefel, Sheridan & Helck families.

Direct Oil Service Station

140 East Main Street

Engineered by Sullivan & Cozart of Louisville, KY for Harry Goulding for use as a service station, the building remained in the Goulding family until 2003 when it was purchased by Steve and Sue Clark who have completed a meticulous restoration of the structure.

Dr. Asahel Clapp House

114 East Main Street

New Albany's oldest brick house was the home and office of New Albany's first doctor, Dr. Asahel Clapp. He helped form the Indiana Medical Society and served as its second president. Not only a doctor, Asahel was best known for his scientific interests. He studied the areas plants, animals, and rocks and was known as Indiana's first botanist. He also kept daily weather diaries that were later used by the National Weather Service.

Elias Ayres Building

134 East Main Street

This building replaced an earlier frame structure that also had housed Elias Ayres's dry goods store. In 1860, the rear addition was completed making the store rooms a total 120 feet deep. The 1891 application of concrete added to the building to imitate brick, was removed in the remodeling of the building by the Heinz family in 1978.

Ferry-McDonald-Green House (1866)

1014 East Main Street


Levi Ferry, a prominent New Albany businessman and insurance agent, purchased these lots in 1865 and had his Upper High Street home built in 1866. The architects/builders of the structure were probably William and James Banes,builders of many fine residences of the day, including the Shipman-McCord House, the Alexander Dowling House and the now demolished Jessie J. Brown House. In 1869, the property was purchased by banker, John S. McDonald. Mr. McDonald was also extensively engaged in the pork packing industry of this city and partners in the New Albany Rolling Mills, located on West Water Street between 6th and 7th in downtown New Albany. After the death of John in 1877, his widow Nancy remained in the house, except for a few years in the early 1880s, until her death in 1899. During this time in the early 1880s, General James A. Ekin and family removed to the home. He was Assistant Quartermaster General; Brevet Brigadier General U. S. A., in charge of the Jeffersonville Depot of the Quartermaster’s Department and disbursing officer of the Quartermaster Department at Louisville. Ekin Avenue in New Albany bears his name. Henry Green purchased the property in 1907 and it remained in the Green family through the late 1940s. Mr. Green was vice president of the Ohio Falls Iron Co., located over three blocks on West Water Street in downtown New Albany. His brother John, also associated with the OFI Co., and Susannah, his sister, came to live in the house with their brother shortly after he bought the home. Sue, as she was known, was head nurse of the New Albany Chapter of the American Red Cross and the great niece of Florence Nightingale, founder of modern nursing.

Joshua Bragdon House (1856)

517 East Main Street

Greek Revival/Italianate

This frame house was built for Joshua Bragdon in 1856. Mr. Bragdon was owner of the New Albany Rolling Mill where rails for railroads were manufactured. By 1907, Charles and Elizabeth Hassenmiller had purchased the structure. Mr. Hassenmiller was a New Albany dry goods merchant. During the mid 20th Century, the house was home to the Judge Paul Tegart family.

F.W. Woolworth Co. Building

218 - 220 Pearl Street

This was the very first New Albany location of the Giant retailer, F. W. Woolworth Co. Woolworth's arrived in New Albany about 1913 and located the ever popular 5 & 10 cents store in the south side of this building. By 1919, Woolworth's had already doubled its store size by taking in the north side and setting sales records all across Indiana. The first Woolworth's Cafeteria in the nation was started on the second floor of 220 around 1923 by Miss Mildred Sinex. In 1931, Woolworth's moved its store and cafeteria to the corner of Pearl and Market Streets. Karl L. Fenger Hardware , Steiden Grocery Store and Winn-Dixie Supermarket all occupied this structure, at some point in time, over the next twenty years. The building would eventually become home to the popular Walter Kahn Department Store, dealing in the latest women's fashions, from the late 1950s through the early 1970s.

Farrell - Kepley House

425 Bank Street

The Greek Revival style house was built for Andrew Farrell in 1845, A steamboat mate. In 1899, the Kepley family purchased the home and it remained in their possession until 1988 when Larry Ricke bought the building, and along with his brother Mike, restored this historic structure for their Insurance and Investment Planning offices.

Firestone Service Station

SW Corner of State and Market Street

Still home to the Firestone Company with continued maintenance of this original porcelain-enamel paneled building. 

Globe Store

109 East Market Street

By the early teens, Elder Miller was occupying the storefront of this building with his popular Globe Department Store while he and his wife, Annette, lived above. The property is still owned by the Miller's descendents. Previous to the Globe, the building housed numerous restaurants in the early 1900s. The building was built for Louis Goodbub in 1875 for $4,500. Mr. Goodbub had a grocery here until the early 1880s when Michael Schuler took over the business and continued it into the mid 1890s. 

Grand Theatre

138 East Market Street

Built as a stage and movie theater in 1909, remodeled and enlarged in 1915, this popular destination remained until 1975 when the last picture show was run. In 1950, the Art Deco style facade, along with remodeling of the interior, took place. After several failed attempts of reusing the building in the 1980s and 1990s as a stage venue and convention hall, the building fell into a state of disrepair until it was remodeled by Brenda and Larry Sharlow into this popular convention and banquet center.

James H. Marshel House (1863)

1209 East Main Street


Constructed in 1863, this brick, Italianate style home was built for James H. Marshel, wholesale dealer in coach and saddlery hardware, and manufacturer of collars, harnesses and carriages. In 1875, the property was sold to New Albany physician, Dr. Elijah Newland, for $6,500. The McCleans and Lappings were the next owners of the property. Both families were associated with the New Albany Wood Mosaic Company that supplied parquet flooring all around the country, including the White House in Washington D.C. This home was also used as a showroom to display the different flooring types and patterns. The original carriage house and stable remain at the rear of the property.

Herbst Building

312 Pearl Street

Originally home to M. S. Herbst Merchant Tailor for a number of years. Later, the popular John B. Mitchell Men's Clothier was located in this restored structure.

Hieb Building

316 - 318 Pearl Street

Built for John Hieb , Clothier and Merchant Tailor , the 2nd and 3rd story facades are of cut limestone done by John Diebold and Robert Emery, brick work by John Crawford, all of New Albany. The Louisville, KY company of Sneed & Co. supplied the cast iron storefronts. The first American-made, ground and polished plate glass was hung in the storefront windows of this building. The supplier of the plate glass was Capt. John B. Ford, known as the father of plate glass in America. He had his New Albany Glass Works at East 10th Street and the river in New Albany. Capt. Ford later went on to found the Libby-Owens-Ford Glass Co. in Pittsburgh, PA. Frank Baker bought the building in 1917. Mutual Trust Bank purchased the structure in 1974 and in the early 1980s began a complete restoration of this magnificent building. 

Indiana State Bank

203 East Main Street

One of ten original branches of the Indiana State Bank, this building was designed by Edwin Peck and built by Hugh Pugh with native Floyd County sandstone. After the bank closed in the late 1890s, the building was used as a church ad home to the Knights of Pythias. The New Albany Chapter of the American Red Cross moved their offices into the structure in 1941 and remained through 1982. Develop New Albany and later Steve Goodman and Carl Holliday completed an extraordinary restoration of the structure in the latter part of the 1990s and into the early 21st century.

Independent German-American School

810 East Market Street

The Independent German-American School was established in 1866 for the German speaking citizens of the community. By the summer of 1867, this new school building was begun. The contractors for the structure were all from New Albany. In January 1871, the property was deeded over to the New Albany City Schools to be used as a public school. The building not only was used to educate children, but later used by the New Albany Floyd County Public School Corporation as their curriculum center.


IOOF Building / Odd Fellows

NE Corner of Bank and Market Streets

This building was constructed by master builders William and James Banes, builder of the Culbertson Mansion, for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows New Albany Lodge #1. The brick work was supplied by John Anderson and Theodore Detrick and the cut limestone-faade by John Diebold, all of New Albany. The Louisville, KY concern of Sneed & Co. supplied the cast iron storefronts, all of which have been beautifully maintained. The structure is still home to New Albany Lodge #1, the first Odd Fellows Lodge organized in the State of Indiana.

Isaac B. Friend Building

230 Pearl Street

Isaac B. Friend purchased this property along , with a lot on Market Street, for $6,000 from the heirs of Henry Royse in 1874. Mr. Friend, being a building contractor, remodeled the former building into this Italianate style structure with a cut limestone-facade in 1876. 

The building was sold to J. Otto Endris in May 1899 and became home to J. O. Endris Jewelers thru 1976. Develop New Albany, Inc. restored this structure in 1991. A luxury apartment is found on the 2nd and 3rd floors of this well-maintained building.

Israel House

142 West Main Street

Andrew and Mary Israel purchased this lot in 1842 and built this well known family hotel and boarding house. There has been a ballroom originally constructed on the west side of the building. During New Albany's Steamboat-construction dominance in the 1840s and 1850s, captains, pilots, and engineers from the South, brought their families here during the summer months to escape yellow fever. At the time, the Israel House was called the most aristocratic boarding house in the city. The conversation at the Israel House most always centered around Steamboat Races. The hotel remained for over forty years with different proprietors, but always used the Israel House name. According to a newspaper account of 1886, Mr. Frank Losson, a baker, purchased the building ad had the elegant limestone storefront placed on the front and converted the old hotel into a handsome business house and residence for himself. It is very probable that the Italianate cornice and window hoods were added at this time. The building has been sensitively-restored to its 1886 appearance.

J.J. Newberry Building 

315 Pearl Street

This is another Ben Briggs building, constructed in the Neoclassical style. The structure was built on the former site of the M. V. Mallory Livery Stable and is probably another S. Day & Sons building. Mr. Briggs purchased this lot for $6,500 in August 1890, but did not have the building constructed for some time. Originally the structure contained three separate storefronts. Numerous businesses occupied the space until the late 1920s, when the J. J. Newberry Co. 5 & 10 Cents Store began occupying two-thirds of the building. Preston Arts Center relocated their business here by the mid 1970s, after a devastating fire destroyed their previous location on State Street in November 1973.

Jacob Goodbub Confectionary Building 

217 - 219  Pearl Street

Mr. Jacob Goodbub began his confectionary business in 1857 on Market Street and later moved to a Pearl Street building that once occupied the 219 site. Mr. Goodbub had this Italianate style three-story building constructed in 1872 with a cut limestone-facade and storefront. All three floors and basement were used in his wholesale and retail confectionery business along with being the Goodbub residence. All the varieties of candies which are manufactured anywhere in the West are made here, to quote a Ledger-Standard article of April 10, 1874. Jacob also dealt in fancy groceries, fruit, fine cigars and tobacco. 217, the south building, was constructed in 1886 for Mr. Goodbub and it replicated his 1872 building. When his new building was completed, it contained an open courtyard surrounded by 2nd floor porches located at the rear of the building. This area was used as an ice cream parlor and was quoted as being the most elegant summer-ice cream saloon in the state. Mutual Trust Bank was founded in the 1886 structure in 1904 and remained until their new building was completed in at 322-324 Pearl Street in 1909. These two new buildings saw numerous occupants over the years including the Evans Department Store using both storefronts from about 1940 to the mid 1960s. Stephen Beardsley, the buildings present owner, has undertaken a monumental restoration of the two properties.

James F. McCurdy Building

225 State Street

This building was originally built for James McCurdy to house his wholesale confectionery and foreign fruit business. Both buildings retain their original limestone storefront and bracketed, wooden cornice.

John Briggs Block

123 East Market Street

Like 119 and later 117, this building was occupied by the F. W. Woolworth Co. 5 & 10 Cent Store from 1931 through December of 1973. The ever popular Woolworth's Cafeteria occupied the second floors of the two corner buildings. John Briggs purchased this lot and building for $9,025 in 1871 and was going to remodel a previous structure. Instead he had this handsome Italianate structure built and completed in 1872. The limestone was supplied by Messers. Crumbo and Melcher of New Albany. The first floor was constructed for storerooms. The second floor was used for offices and the third floor for a public hall. Geo. W. Grosheider & Co. occupied this brand new storefront in 1872. Mr. Grosheider, who had established his wholesale and retail grocery business a few years earlier, remained at this corner until about 1918. By 1921, The Piggly-Wiggly Grocery was located here and remained until Woolworth took occupancy of the building.

John E. Noyes  Building

157 East Main Street

John E. Noyes purchased this lot in late 1856 and was selling his boots, shoes and dry goods from the building by 1868. In 1879, Mr. Noyes lost his building to Sheriff's Sale. The building has seen numerous businesses and owners over time. Attorney Larry Schad, purchased the building and completed an extensive restoration of the property in 1987.

Kaiser's Tobacco

326 Pearl Street

Kaiser's Tobacco is New Albany's oldest continuous business, beginning in 1832. They are also one of New Albany's state-recognized Centennial Businesses. This brick building was constructed for Mrs. Josephine Kaiser by first-class master builder, John Nafius of New Albany. The beautifully maintained limestone storefront was he work of New Albany firm of Crumbo & Melcher. Downtown living quarters are located on the 2nd floor.

Michael C. Kerr House (1864)

1109 East Main Street

Gothic Revival/Italianate

This brick, Gothic Revival/Italianate style home, was built in 1864 for Michael C. Kerr. Mr. Kerr was elected to five terms in Congress and became Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives on December 8, 1875. An 1886 remodel saw the third-floor Gothic dormer added, six-over-six front windows replaced with the present two-over-two sash, decorative lintels added above the front windows and door, and the side double gallery porches enclosed.

Eugene V. Knight House (1912)

1217 East Main Street

American Foursquare

Built for wood veneer mogul, Col. Eugene V. Knight, this American Foursquare is an excellent example of the mixture of the Foursquare and the Classical Revival styles of architecture. E.V., as he was known, established one of the largest furniture veneering (plywood) manufacturing plants in the nation, the New Albany Veneering Co. One of Col. Knight’s biggest contracts was with a Chicago company, supplying Majestic radio cabinets for their numerous models. The Knight family resided here until their $1,000.000 estate, Greystone Gables, was completed in 1929 on Silver Hills.

Charles D. Knoefel House (1896)

1103 East Main Street

Queen Anne

This brick, Queen Anne style home was built in 1896 for New Albany druggist, Charles D. Knoefel. The cost of construction was $3,787 along with $1,750 for the lot. Note the many gables and the stained glass windows. Mr. Knoefel was proprietor of the Knoefel Drug Store, located at 110 East Market Street in downtown New Albany. After selling his business in 1913 he became president of the New Albany Trust Co., a position he would hold until a few years before his death in 1937.

Samuel A. McClung House (ca 1870)

1118 East Main Street

Gothic Revival/Italianate

This home was built for wholesale boots and shoes merchant, Samuel A. McClung. It is a mixture of the Gothic Revival/Italianate styles of architecture. The architects/builders of the structure were probably William and James Banes. The house was completed by 1870 and according to newspaper accounts, the home was scene of many fancy social gatherings during the years the McClung’s resided here. The family moved to Kansas in 1889 and the home was sold in 1892 to Mary S. Kelley for $5,500. In 1902, building contractor and builder; Miles Kehoe, Sr. purchased the property. Miles was a leading contractor in New Albany and a number of the business blocks and public buildings were erected by him. It was quoted in the New Albany Weekly Tribune that, “He was an honest, upright citizen and in his contracting business bore a reputation for integrity and willingness to carry out his agreements even though it resulted in financial loss to him.” Mr. Kehoe died in 1911 and Miles’ widow, Rose, remained in the house until her death in 1923. At the beginning of WWII, the house was divided into six living units, as it remains today. This happened quite frequently with many of the large homes on Main Street.

Montgomery-Cannon House (1850)

518 East Main Street


Built for riverboat pilot, Samuel Montgomery in 1850, this home’s New Orleans-style ironwork, reflects the travels of Captain Montgomery. Prominent merchant in wholesale fancy goods and notions, Greensbury C. Cannon, purchased the property in 1869. He, along with business partner, James A. Hughes, had their business house on Pearl Street in downtown New Albany.

Newburger-Collins House (1900)

620 East Main Street

Queen Anne

The Samuel W. Newburger family were the first residents of this house. Mr. Newburger was founder of the prestigious, S.W. Newburger & Company’s White House Department Store, in downtown New Albany. The institution was a Pearl Street mainstay for 97 years. Mr. Newburger died suddenly at his store in March 1908. Leah, his widow, remained in the home until 1915, when she relocated to Salt Lake City, Utah to live with her daughter. There were several other tenants until the Collins family purchased the property in 1921. Mr. Collins had a freight transfer and storage company along with high-explosive and blasting supplies at 510–520 Pearl Street in downtown New Albany. Mrs. Collins died in the home in 1935. Mr. Collins remained active in business and civic affairs of the city until his death in 1956.

Newburger-Lind House (1900)

616 East Main Street

Queen Anne

This house and the one immediately to the east at 620, were built in 1900. Both were constructed as investment properties for John F. McCulloch, President of the New Albany National Bank. The first occupant of 616 was Wm. S. Newburger, son of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel W. Newburger, residents of 620. William worked for his father at the White House Department Store. After several different owners using the property as rental, Frank Lind purchased the home in 1985.

Nunemacher-Hangary House (1853)

709 East Main Street

Gothic Revival

Fashioned in the Gothic Revival style of architecture, this home has had only three owners since its construction in 1853. The first two owners were John R. Nunemacher, owner of the City Bookstore on East Main Street in the downtown, and Jacob Hangary, one of the founders of the Merchants National Bank. The house has a raised first floor and delicate iron ornamentation.

Phineas Kent House (1854-55)

1015 East Main Street


An architectural companion to its neighbor to the west, this Italianate Tuscan Villa was built in 1854-55 for well-known New Albany citizen and lawyer, Phineas Kent. Note the offset tower and the beveled glass door. The home later belonged to prominent New Albany attorney, Randal C. Crawford. By the late 1860s, the mansion was home to Capt. John B. Ford, known as the father of the plate glass industry in America. The structure is now the parish house of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church located behind it on Market Street. The church is an 1895-96 structure built in the Gothic Revival style of architecture.

Lang Block

SW Pearl & Market Street

The original owner of this block of buildings was Thomas Conner. When constructed, there were four different storefronts, three facing Pearl Street and one fronting Market. According to early Sanborn Insurance maps, the 2nd floor was used as club rooms while the 3rd floor housed a Masonic Hall. 

Several different owners followed Mr. Conner until Frank J. Lang purchased all interests in the buildings by 1884. Wholesale clothing and merchant tailor, Mr. Isaac Maienthal commenced business at this location in 1861. His establishment continued through 1894. Steiden Grocery Store had located here in the early 1930s. By the late 1940s, The Joy Shop, dealer in women's clothing, had become a popular fixture on this important corner and remained through the mid 1970s. Today the first floor of the block is the professional office of attorney, Stephen J. Beardsley. Mr. Beardsley has occupied the space for over two decades, while he and his wife Rebecca, have resided on the two upper floors of the structure.

Lemon Block Building

151 East Spring Street

Dr. J. H. Lemon built this building in 1888 and had his office here. By August 1888, it had also become the home of Harmeling & Maetschke Merchant Tailors. The building was later sold to the Maetschke family where it remained until 1998.

Levi Block Building

SW Corner Bank and East Spring Street

Built on the site of Bank Street Baptist Church and later the Salvation Army in 1906, Dr. L. D. Levi erected this professional office building in the Neoclassical style of architecture. In addition to Dr. Levi's office, the first tenant of the building was attorney Charles D. Kelso. The structure remained in the Levi family until December 1921 at which time it was purchased by Dr. J. R. Carnahan and continued to be used for professional offices. Now home to Mitchell Timperman Ritz, Architects who have beautifully rehabilitated the building along with the two adjoining structures.

Losson Block Building

137 East Market Street

In February 1891, Frank Losson purchased several lots for $5,640 and by July construction had begun on this $7,000, brick and limestone building with a pressed metal cornice, possibly a Geo. L. Mesker & Co. product from Evansville, IN. By 1892, C. C. Brown, the Tailor was located here. The building remained in the Losson family until 1939, at which time, Charles Slung, owner of the popular Fair Store, which had already been occupying the building for years , purchased it. C. C. Brown, the Tailor had relocated to the Hieb Building on Pearl Street. The Fair Store remained a center of downtown mercantile activity until its closing in July 1989.

Martin Kiefer Saloon

113 East Market Street

When the building at the northeast corner of Pearl and Market Streets was torn down in 1929 to make way for the new Kresge Building, Harry S. McDonald moved his drugstore to this location. After Mr. McDonald's death in 1944, his estate sold the store and its fixtures and contents to the Louisville drugstore chain of T. P. Taylor & Co., their first Indiana location. Taylor Drugs remained a downtown institution until moving to a suburban Charlestown Road location in the mid 1960s. Previous to McDonald's, the building was used as a saloon as early as 1874 when Martin Kiefer purchased the structure in September of that year from Rubin P. Main for $2,400. It appears that Henry Crawford lost the building to Sheriff's Sale in July 1873 and Mr. Main purchased it for $1,333. The building served as a saloon under numerous names until the late teens. From the mid 1960s until the mid 1990s, Mills Discount Drugs occupied the structure.

Merchants National Bank

NE Corner of Pearl and Main Street

Founded by Jacob Hangary and Robert McCord, this Italianate structure was built on an 1830 bank site. The stonework was completed by Robert Emery of New Albany.

In 1907, an extensive remodeling of the building took place. Bill and Mary Lou Heinz completed a superior restoration of the building in 1979.

Monsch Hotel

148 East Market Street

Mr. John T. Monsch had this European Style hotel built in 1871 in the Italianate style of architecture. The brick work was supplied by John Anderson and the stonework by John Diebold, both of New Albany. John B. Ford and his New Albany Glass Works were contracted for the glass. This facility was operated as a hotel from 1871 thru 1994 under numerous owners and at least 10 name changes.

Moore-Tabler House (1848)

815 East Main Street


This house was built as a gift to Scott Moore and his wife Mary Ann Conner from Mary Ann’s father, John. Mr. Moore was associated with the dry goods company of Conner & Co., located on East Main Street near Pearl in the downtown. Scott would eventually have his own dry goods store in the downtown area. It appears that the Moores lost their home to the bank in April 1869. There were several different owners after the Moores, including the Blackistons and the Trinlers. In 1885, the Peter Tabler family took ownership of the property. Note the Federal style features and the double chimneys on each side. Also, notice the beautiful brick walkway in front of the house.

Moosmiller House (ca 1855)

820 East Market Street

Built sometime between 1852-1855 by John B. Crawford, the house was sold to New Albany businessman Adam Knapp in 1855. By March 1863, Merchants National Bank president Jacob Hangary was the owner. At Capt. Hangary’s death, his daughter and son-in-law, Mary A. and John S. Day, purchased the home in April 1880. After Col. Day died, his widow remained in the home and was joined by her daughter and son-in-law, Mary and Paul E. Moosmiller. Mr. Moosmiller was an architect whose name is attributed to the design of the old “People’s College” on East Spring Street that was New Albany High School from 1905 to 1927; he also was involved with the design of the New Albany Carnegie Library and the Seelbach Hotel in Louisville, especially the Rathskeller. Around 1901, Paul drew the plans for the separation of this house into two individual structures, with the second facing East 9th Street at 221.

Also at this time, the west addition and the east bump-out, containing a new staircase, were added.

Victor Pepin House (1851-52)

1003 East Main Street


An example of an Italianate Tuscan Villa, this home was built in 1851-52 based on a pattern-book design by noted Philadelphia architect Samuel Sloan. Its most striking feature is its center tower. A beautifully painted ceiling adorns the large drawing room. Prominent citizen, Victor Pepin purchased this lot in 1851 and had the house built immediately. Mr. Pepin was the cashier of the New Albany Branch of the State Bank of Indiana, located at East Main and Bank Streets in the downtown. In 1863, John P. Cromie, a New Albany coal and lake ice dealer, bought the structure. Later, the house became home to the August Barth family and remained for over 65 years. Mr. Barth was proprietor of the August Barth Tannery,located at East 10th and Water Streets, just one block south from his house.

Samuel Culbertson House (1886)

904 East Main Street

Queen Anne

Built in 1886, this brick Queen Anne style mansion was constructed as a wedding gift for Samuel Culbertson, by his father William, who lived next door. By the mid 1890s, the Samuel Culbertson family moved to an elaborate, new mansion at 1432 South Third Street in Old Louisville. Samuel was once president of the famed Churchill Downs and started the tradition of placing the “Garland of Roses” on the Kentucky Derby winner.

Scott-McKiernan House (1864)

1417 East Main Street

Greek Revival

These two lots were purchased by David R. and Sophronia C. Scott in July 1864 for $1,600 and this brick, Greek Revival style house was immediately constructed. Mr. Scott was partners with John W. Brindley in the business venue of Scott & Brindley, manufactures and dealers in furniture, located on West Main Street between State and West 1st Streets in downtown New Albany. The Scott’s sold their home to Geo. S. McKiernan in 1866 for $8,000. Mr. McKiernan was secretary of the newly formed Jeffersonville, Madison & Indianapolis Railroad, a product of the 1866 merger of the Indianapolis & Madison Railroad with the Jeffersonville Railroad. This railroad came to New Albany in 1866 and was owned and operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad. The house remained in the McKiernan family for over 100 years. An addition was added to the east side of the structure in 1895 by builders S. Day & Son for $1,200. The house is located on the eastern-most boundary of the Mansion Row National Register Historic District.

Shipman-McCord Mansion & Children’s Playhouse (1866)

1206-08 East Main St.

Gothic Revival/Italianate

This elegant home and the children’s playhouse next door at 1208 were built in 1866 for William C. Shipman, proprietor of the Phoenix Foundry, one of the many shipbuilding suppliers in New Albany. The architects/builders of the structures were probably Wm. and James Banes. There is no actual documentation that the outbuilding was used as a children’s playhouse, only local folklore. In 1868, Mr. Shipman sold his splendid estate to Robert G. McCord for $19,000. Mr. McCord had originally been partners with Wm. S. Culbertson in a wholesale dry goods business on Pearl Street in downtown New Albany. McCord would later partner with Lawrence Bradley in the same type of business. By far, Robert’s largest business venture was the establishment of a woolen mill in 1866 with partners Washington C. DePauw, Lawrence Bradley and James M. Haines on Vincennes Street in the uptown area of New Albany. By 1869, the operation was merged with J. F. Gebhart’s New Albany Woolen Mills, making the McCord and Bradley Woolen Mills the largest establishment of its kind in the West. The McCord family owned the property and resided in the main house until the early 1940s when it was divided into apartments. The playhouse also became a separate living unit at this time.

Silliman-Ayres-Lindsay-Richardson-Lapsley House (ca1845)

612 E. Main St.

Second Empire

Asa Mann purchased this property in 1841 and the house was built around 1845. In 1863, the structure, also known at the “Beehive,” became the home of Mary Ann Silliman-Ayres-Lindsay-Richardson-Lapsley. Mary Ann had eight children, none of whom reached maturity. She outlived the four husbands who left her wealthy and able to be quite enterprising in business in New Albany. Elias Ayers, her first husband, was a successful dry goods merchant who donated $15,000 in 1847, for the establishment of the New Albany Theological Seminary which was located on Elm Street. The top floor, with the Second Empire style Mansard roof, and the Italianate embellishments, were added to the house in 1885.

Sloan-Bicknell-Paris House (1854)

600 East Main Street


Built in 1854 for Dr. John Sloan, the 6th Street side door entered into the doctor’s office, located in the northwest corner of the house. After Dr. Sloan’s death, his daughter Ann and her husband, the Rear Admiral George A. Bicknell, occupied the home until their deaths, Ann’s being the last in the late 1920s. By 1937, Judge John Paris and his family moved into the home and the house was occupied by a Paris, Miss Lucille Paris, Dean of Girls at New Albany High School, being the last in mid 1996. Note the octagonal tower and the convex, Italian-made, window panes.

Isaac P. Smith House (1848-53)

513 East Main Street

Federal/Greek Revival

Built between 1848 and 1853 by Isaac P. Smith, an architect and master builder in New Albany, for his personal residence. This brick home marked the beginning of the residential section of Upper High Street, the original name of the street, where some of New Albany’s elite and most wealthy lived during the 19th century. Mr. Smith was also the architect for the Joshua Bragdon House, 517; the Montgomery-Cannon House, 518; the Sloan-Bicknell-Paris House, 600; and the James & Angelina Collins House, 917 as well as many other private and public buildings in the City.

William P. Stein House (1922)

1104 East Main Street

American Foursquare

It is very likely that this house is another S. Day & Sons built structure. The lot was purchased by William P. Stein for $1,550 in 1922 and the American Foursquare style home was built immediately. William owned the accounting firm of W.P. Stein & Co., located in the historic Elsby Building in downtown New Albany. There appears to be at least two other Day-built homes in this block of East Main Street. The Arthur E. Scott House to the east at 1106 and the documented, Louis C. Stein House across the street at 1115, are almost identical to each other and represent the early, 20th Century-era buildings on East Main Street.

John H. Stotsenburg House (1867)

1407 East Main Street


This lot was purchased by New Albany attorney and Judge, John H. Stotsenburg in 1867 for $1,000 and the frame, Italianate style home was built. The structure was constructed in Chicago, except for the sills, and transported to New Albany for set up. The Honorable Stotsenburg and his wife Jennie raised their four children here. John was partners in the law firm of Stotsenburg & Brown and later with his son Evan. Evan made his home here until his marriage to Zenobia Borden in 1892. The young couple had a new home built in the prestigious, Cedar Bough Place area of New Albany. They only lived there a few years before returning to the East Main Street residence in 1897. Evan’s law firm of Stotsenburg & Weathers would eventually take in a new and up-coming attorney in the early 1920s by the name of Sherman Minton. Evan became the State’s Attorney General, member of the Indiana Senate and House of Representatives, and in later years, the Indiana State Highway Commissioner.

Lewis R. Stoy House (1883)

619 East Main Street

Queen Anne

Originally constructed as a single-story, gabled-ell dwelling for the Lewis R. Stoy family in 1883, the home saw a major renovation take place in 1895, when the house was transformed from a single-story structure into the two and a half story house that appears today. Mr. Stoy and his father, Peter, were proprietors of the New Albany concern, Peter R. Stoy & Sons; dealers in hardware, sash, doors, blinds, window glass, iron & wagon material and guns & revolvers, located in the downtown.

Carnegie Public Library

201 East Spring Street

Andrew Carnegie contributed $40,000 towards the construction and furnishing of this building and upon his request, the city council committed $3,500 a year and a suitable site. Paul Emil Mosemiller was the architect and the contract was with Clarke and Loomis of Louisville, KY. All New Albany contractors were used in its construction. This building housed the New Albany-Floyd County Public Library until 1969. An extensive interior and exterior restoration of the building was commenced in 1998 along with a sensitive exterior addition that brings the building in compliance with ADA requirements. Now home to the Carnegie Center for Art & History, a division of the NAFCPL.

Phillip Kemp Building

117 East Market Street

Mr. Phillip Kemp completed this three-story Italianate building in 1861 for use as his bakery. The building has seen numerous businesses over time including being incorporated into the F. W. Woolworth Co. 5 & 10 Cent Store in 1939.

Riebel House

115 East Market Street

As early as 1859, Joseph H. Reibel was running a saloon and boarding house on the south side of East Market Street. This building, constructed in 1887, replaced a two-story structure that Joseph had been using for his business and residence since 1856. Mr. Reibel died in June 1888 and by the following December the business had been sold and the building leased to a Mr. Byerly from Louisville. There were several other proprietors of the hotel over the next five years. In all, the present building was used less then ten years as a hotel. The Reibel family sold the property in June 1906 for $4,000 to Daniel Bader. The businesses over time, including: Harmeling Bros. Restaurant in the 1920s, which was also a front for boot legging operation during prohibition and Williams Bakery from 1937 to the mid 1960s. In 2001, the present owner, John W. Waggoner, meticulously restored the cut limestone-facade building for his company's national headquarters, Hornblower Marine Service.

S.S. Kresge Building

302 Pearl Street

This Neoclassical style building replaced an earlier three-story, 1865 structure that was torn down in 1929 to make way for the new 1930 Kresge Building. The building was probably constructed by New Albany contractors, S. Day & Sons. S. S. Kresge was only in New Albany for seven years and did not return after the Great Flood of 1937. Later, stores such as Helman's Department Store and Walgreen's Drug Store have been located on this highly-visible corner.

Sapinsky Block

101 East Main Street

Jacob Sapinsky & Son clothiers had the building constructed by New Albany contractors S. Day & Sons. They moved into their building in April 1897. The Sapinsky's began their business in Scottsburg, but moved it to New Albany in the early 1890s. The Sapinsky Block was sold to the Home Furniture Co. in 1919 and remained here through the mid 1940s. Today the building is known as the furniture corner and home to Schmitt's Furniture who took occupancy of the structure immediately after the Home Furniture Co. vacated. 

Scribner House

Corner of State and Main Street

Built in 1814 for Joel Scribner and his family, one of the founders of New Albany, it is the oldest house in the city. The Federal style, clapboard home has double porches at the rear that once overlooked the Ohio River before the present floodwall was constructed. The Scribner family is the only residents that have lived in the house.

Switow Building 

314 Pearl Street

Built on the site of the Crystal Theater, this building has had numerous owners and seen an array of businesses located here including Stein's Shoes and Williams Bakery. In 1976, J. O. Endris Jewelers purchased and relocated their store to this structure. Endris Jewelers, founded in 1880, is one of New Albany's state-recognized Centennial Businesses. 2004 saw present owners, Robert and Jean Caesar, finish an extensive interior and exterior restoration of this historic building.

The Elsby Building 

117 East Spring Street

Joseph and Joseph Architects from Louisville, KY designed the Neoclassical styled Elsby Building, which was constructed in 1916 on the former site of P. Vernia's 1866 Masonic Temple Building. Built of steel, concrete, terra cotta, and brick, the building cost $100,000 and was advertised as being fire-proof. In 1917, the name of the bank occupying the building changed its name from German American Bank & Trust Co. to American Bank & Trust Co. The bank failed during the Great Depression. It later received a new charter as the American Bank. 

Trio Houses 

218, 220, & 224 East Main Street 

These townhouses were built by Simeon K. Wolfe, a prominent lawyer, for investment purposes. All have been meticulously restored.

Town Clock Church

300 East Main Street

New Albany architect and master builder Isaac P. Smith, built this structure between the years 1849-52 for the Second Presbyterian Church congregation and used on the Underground Railroad. It is an excellent example of the Greek Revival style of architecture. The Second Baptist Church congregation has owned the edifice since 1889. In 1914, the original steeple was struck by lightning and replaced with the present tower.

United Gas & Electric Co. Building

138 East Spring Street

Built on the burned out site of the L. Hartman Flour , Seed & Grain Store, this building was constructed in 1905 and leased to the United Gas & Electric Co. and later sold to them in 1919. The building housed many other service companies besides UG&EC, including: Louisville & Southern Indiana Traction Co.; Interurban Express Co.; New Albany Water Works Co.; and New Albany Street Railroad Co. The building was restored for offices in 1977 by the architectural firm of Walker, Applegate, Oakes and Ritz.

Warren-Morrill House (1853)

1309 East Main Street

Greek Revival

Built in 1853, this brick, Greek Revival style house was constructed for Franklin Warren, Mayor of New Albany from 1856 through 1859. In addition to his political career, the Honorable Warren was involved in the business venue of Plumer, Bushnel & Warren, iron dealers & ship chandlers and receiving & forwarding merchants. Franklin later became a partner in the agriculture & seed store of Goulding & Warren. He was also director of the First National Bank, one of New Albany’s first banking establishments. By 1865, Dr. Wilbur F. and Mary Crawford Morrill purchased the home. Dr. Morrill was a dentist in New Albany. Mrs. Morrill was the daughter of prominent New Albany lawyer, Randall C. Crawford. When Ralph Waldo Emerson lectured in New Albany on February 14, 1866, he visited with the Morrill family and spent the night here.

Wilcox Block

135 East Market Street

Dr. Peleng M. Wilcox had this block of buildings built in the Italianate style of architecture in 1869. Peleng incorporated a circa 1840s building into his building at 135. Dr. Wilcox had purchased the original building in July of 1849 from Dr. Summerville Leonard and made his office and residence there. The first tenant of the new building at 133 was Nicholas Ruppert who had a bakery, confectionery and restaurant here, along with being a dealer in toys and fancy goods. He also resided on the upper floors. 135 continued to be physician offices of Peleg Wilcox and later Willett M. Wilcox. Dentists Peter T. Green and Frank C. Green also occupied 135 into the middle and late 1880s. From this time on, both buildings saw numerous businesses including: dry goods & notions, boots & shoes, millinery, queensware & china, hardware and a meat market.

By the mid 1940s, Lewis Stores, Inc., dealers in clothing, carpet and home furnishings, was occupying both storefronts and remained here until 1971 with their slogan, cash in on your credit it's good at Lewis's. In 2006, Matthew and Jessica Bergman began a complete restoration of the historic Wilcox Block with a restored storefront for retail use and a 2nd and 3rd floor loft living-area used as their private residence.

William Huff House (1928)

808 East Main Street

Colonial Revival

This brick, Colonial Revival home, was built in 1928 for William Huff, on part of the site of the DePauw College for Young Ladies. Mr. Huff was partners in the Huff Furniture Co. located on Pearl Street in downtown New Albany. 

Woodfill-Crane House (ca 1845)

420 East Main Street


John Woodfill had this townhouse built around 1845. Mr. Woodfill was a river boatman. He lost the property to Sheriff Sale in 1849. By 1853, David Crane had purchased the home and the family remained until 1879. Mr. Crane was a dealer in leather findings with a store on the west side of Pearl between Main and Market Streets in downtown New Albany. The Italianate features of the house, the window and door hoods, were added at a later date. The three-story, rear addition was constructed in 1892.

William N. Browning Building

223 State Street 

For many years this Italianate style building housed Brown's Seed Store, and agricultural farm implements and seed store. By the 1890s, Mr. Brown had acquired both buildings for his thriving business.